Friday, August 26, 2011

"Iron Dragon" Longshot: Review

 The "Iron Dragon" is my signature Longshot.  Modifications done to it include:

  • Pump Action
  • Stockblock
  • Brass inserted into the breech
  • Spring Addition, Catch Spring Addition
  • Teflon Tape under the O-ring
Oh, and don't forget the sick paint job.



Close up of the dragon design


If you can see, there is a dark circle in the breech. That is about 1/2" of 17/32" brass pushed into the breech.  This makes for a tighter fit on the darts which is ideal for springer blasters.


I did the pump action on my Longshot a bit differently.  I do believe that nobody else has done it this way.  First I integrated the front gun, then extended the draw of it.  I then used two screws (that didn't have a point at the end of them) and attached a wooden arm that I made to the pump slide:





The springs I added was just a Big Bad Bow spring, but the Longshot spring was an older, silver one; which is more powerful than the new black ones. Ranges of the Longshot are 65-75' Flat using converted streamlines.  Not bad if I do say so myself.  I might be doing an angel breech for this in the future.

5 comments:

  1. Nice longshot. I like the steampunk paintjob and the dragon stencil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm actually working on a post about a pump that uses the front gun integration too. I did it to my old longshot about two years ago and have pics to prove it. My boltsled broke before I started the blog though so I couldn't post about it. My gun was slightly different, it used plexiglass to get from the front handle to the priming area. I'm making another pump action LS for a commission using the same style and I was using pics from that to do a writeup.

    I love the paint and the cleanliness of the cuts made to the front gun to extend the draw length. Great mod!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ice^3. I've actually changed it back to bolt-action because the frontgun handle was uncomfortable. I don't really use this gun much anymore, but its still fun to play around with. It's on its 3rd boltsled, and I dont want to break any more

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree to an extent, the bolt is nicer if you are only using the stock spring. But if the spring is upgraded its a lot easier to prime with the pump than with the bolt. My bolt snapped off of the boltsled actually. I accidentally said my boltsled broke, but the sled survived. What's your current primary? The Mav-Titan? Once Icicle brings me his old maverick I plan to make a mav-titan too, that mod is genius.

    I might use the drum from the maverick to make a rotating drum for my NiteFinder, but that could get complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only reason I switched back to the bolt was because the way I built the PA grip was uncomfortable. The frontgun handle isn't that grippy and its really small. Its more in preference.
    My current primary is my Big Blast (for outdoors) and my Quick 16 (for indoors). I don't use the Mav-Titan much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!