Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Modified Pistol Splat!

FINALLY!  Hey guys, so its been a while since I posted a mod.  Thats because I actually ran out of modding supplies and couldn't get to the hardware store until last Sunday!  But, I am back in action now, and am modding again (I can't tell you how good it feels to mod).

Anyways, without further ranting, I present my modified Pistol Splat!



Nothing much has been done to this, just a couple simple and basic mods.  I have couplered it using a 1/2 cpvc coupler which allows it to use the 5 inch cpvc barrel.




I'm not sure if 5 inches is an optimal length for this blaster because when I fire it, the darts "hop" up in their flight path.  I think the barrel might have to be longer.  However, this "hopping" might be due to the slight kick the blaster has.  :)


In its minimized form, it is the same size as a stock Nitefinder.

Here is a shot of the internals.  Not that complex. Interestingly, the plunger tube is actually about the same size as a Nitefinder's.




But what makes this pistol shoot much farther than a Nf, is the spring.


This spring is incredibly powerful.  I couldn't compress it with my hands even if I tried.  In spite of that, the draw weight is actually very light.  This is because of the way the priming mech is designed as it is not a pull back, rather a lever.


Overall, this blaster is very good.  Ranges are in the 70's.  I think it is much superior to couplered Nitefinders range wise, but if you want something compact go with a Nitefinder.  This is definitely going to replace my Nf as my sidearm.

Finally, a firing vid:

9 comments:

  1. Oh It's just so sweet. I like it minimized too. I've never played with one of these. Where did you pick yours up at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got mine off of Smash (very nice guy to trade with actually). But these can be found in most Sports Authorities. Look in the paintball section, you should find it. :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome mod. My coupled NF has that same "hop" flight pattern when i fire whistlers, the barrel length is as long as the foam on the whistler dart with the head resting on the barrel tip. I have a heavy spring I got from City Mill that gives it a good kick. ive tried slightly longer barrels and it makes the dart either fishtail or tumble. Do you have any suggestions to fix this?

    Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your barrel is too short. Nitefinders usually have barrels that are 4 inches in length. My Pistol Splat is hopping only because of its kick.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I really enjoyed your blog. I just bookmarked it. I am a regular visitor of your website I will share It with my friends .Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Hey, did you do any work on the seal? I was thinking of making a replacement plunger head either from an extra NF one or by using washers (but I can't seem to find any 1/8 x 1" washers anywhere). I was using about a 4" barrel and it's getting a really sucky seal and I'm getting somewhere in the 50-60 range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do anything to the seal yet. I plan to in the future though. I did add a spacer behind the spring to give it more pre-compression though.

      Delete

Thanks for reading!